Go across the Guajira desert, visit the Fauna and Flora Sanctuary Los Flamencos and, also, enjoy in the Cabo de la Vela of a blue sea, its golden beaches, the starry night and an authentic adventure in this territory.
CABO DE LA VELA AND LOS FLAMENCOS SANCTUARY
The Upper Guajira is a dry forest ecosystem located at the northern limit of Colombia, in the Department of La Guajira. This territory has a large variety of wildlife and vegetation, as well as cliffs, lakes, empty beaches and the Macuira National Park, a beautiful oasis.
We will visit Punta Gallinas and its lighthouse, the northern most place of South America. We will walk on the beautiful beaches of Cabo de La Vela, discover the charm of the Taroa dunes, Los Flamencos sanctuary, the salt mines of Manaure, EL Pilón de Azúcar, Hondita bay, Arco Iris beach, Punta Aguja and the Carizal desert.
5- 6 horas by car (4×4 vehicle).
The trip starts in Riohacha at 7:30 am, after having enjoyed the breakfast. The driver will pick up the travellers in a 4×4 car to go to the town of Camarones to visit Los Flamencos sanctuary. Once there, we will be able to see the astonishing pink flamingos while we navigate through the mangrove swamp. Then we will drive to Cabo de la Vela, with a lunch stop to enjoy a typical dish from the region. On the way to Cabo de la Vela we will visit the salt mines of Manaure, Uribia and the Carrizal desert to finally arrive at our destination to enjoy the golden beaches and majestic sunsets. We will ascend to the Pilón de Azúcar where we will face strong winds and finish the afternoon contemplating the sunset from the lighthouse. Dinner will be at Cabo de la Vela.
- The visit to Los Flamencos sanctuary is only at the seasons when the flamingos are present (most of the year).
- We will get to know the Wayuu culture also by staying overnight in comfortable hammocks or chinchorros. However, it’s sometimes possible to sleep in a bed (if available) for an additional fee of 40.000 COP.
4- 5 hours by car (4×4 vehicle).
On the second day, we will be visiting Cabo de la Vela’s most representative places. We will begin the morning with a delicious breakfast, then, we will enjoy looking at Pilón de Azúcar where we can appreciate the magic contrast between desert and sea. Afterwards, we will head to Arco Iris Beach, where we will have enough time to enjoy a delicious cleansing bath in the sea’s warm waters and its golden sand.
At midday we will be returning to Ranchería to have lunch and then head back to Riohacha, where our trip ends.
We can leave on the dates you prefer, prior coordination
+ This trip is suitable for people of any age.
+ All the road trips are in 4x4 vehicles with AC.
+ Accommodation is in rancherías belonging to the Wayuu culture.
+ Normally we will sleep in chinchorros, but you can have a bed for $40.000 COP per person.
- + A small backpack for hiking
- + Cloths suitable for fresh weather that includes a pair of pants and a long sleeve shirt.
- + A thin blanket or sheet
- + A light sweater or jacket
- + Bathing suit
- + Small towel
- + A pair of hiking shoes and a pair of sandal or two pair of shoes.
- + Hat
- + Sun glasses
- + Photographic camera
- + Torch/Flash light
- + Insect repellent
- + Sunscreen
- + Non plastic water bottle (thermo)
- + A small personal hygiene kit and personal medicines.
- + A pair of big plastic bags to protect your cloths from water and to keep your garbage.
- + ID Card
DO NOT LEAVE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT
• AVOID BUYING BOTTLED WATER
• DON’T USE STRAWS IN YOUR BEVERAGE
• USE AS LITTLE PLASTIC BAGS AS POSSIBLE
• USE RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES FOR YOUR FLASHLIGHT
• PUT THE GARBAGE IN THE PROPER PLACE
• SEPARATE THE GARBAGE AND RECYCLE
• DON’T USE SOAP WHEN BATHING IN RIVERS
• DON’T TAKE ANY BIOLOGICAL MATERIAL WITH YOU WHEN YOU LEAVE THE PLACE
FROM $680.000 COP
+ Guide during the whole trip.
+ Medical Assistance Insurance.
+ Privet ground transport service to all the places mentioned in the itinerary in a 4×4 vehicle with AC.
+ Accommodation: one night in chinchorro at the ranchería Wayuu. Accommodation in bed may have an extra cost.
+ Meals: from lunch in the first day until lunch in the last day.
+ Permission to access to Los Flamencos Sanctuary.
+ All activities described in the itinerary.
+ Airplane tickets.
+ Alcoholic beverages
+ Expenses not specified in the plan.
It was a beautiful trip to the northern region of Colombia! There were wonderful beaches!
It was a trip to never forget!
This is a perfect trip for those who only have two days to enjoy the region. The beaches of Cabo and Los Flamengos are amazing!
Thanks SAWA for the organization of this trip!
This is another place in Colombia that surprises me. The vast desert, the spectacular beaches, an excellent experience! A trip to never forget!