Enjoy a beautiful trip of connection with nature by going across the Upper Guajira desert, Punta Gallinas, the Fauna and Flora Sanctuary Los Flamencos, the golden beaches of El Cabo de la Vela, the dunes of Taroa, Manaure and many other special places of this territory.
CABO DE LA VELA AND PUNTA GALLINAS
The Upper Guajira is a dry forest ecosystem located at the northern limit of Colombia, in the Department of La Guajira. This territory has a large variety of wildlife and vegetation, as well as cliffs, lakes, empty beaches and the Macuira National Park, a beautiful oasis.
We will visit Punta Gallinas and its lighthouse, the northern most place of South America. We will walk on the beautiful beaches of Cabo de La Vela, discover the charm of the Taroa dunes, Los Flamencos sanctuary, the salt mines of Manaure, EL Pilón de Azúcar, Hondita bay, Arco Iris beach, Punta Aguja and the Carizal desert.
5- 6 hours by car (4×4 vehicle).
The trip starts in Riohacha at 7:30 am, after having enjoyed the breakfast. The driver will pick up the travellers in a 4×4 car to go to the town of Camarones to visit Los Flamencos sanctuary. Once there, we will be able to see the astonishing pink flamingos while we navigate through the mangrove swamp. Then we will drive to Cabo de la Vela, with a lunch stop to enjoy a typical dish from the region. On the way to Cabo de la Vela we will visit the salt mines of Manaure, Uribia and the Carrizal desert to finally arrive at our destination to enjoy the golden beaches and majestic sunsets. We will ascend to the Pilón de Azúcar where we will face strong winds and finish the afternoon contemplating the sunset from the lighthouse. Dinner will be at Cabo de la Vela.
- The visit to Los Flamencos sanctuary is only at the seasons when the flamingos are present (most of the year).
- We will get to know the Wayuu culture also by staying overnight in comfortable hammocks or chinchorros. However, it’s sometimes possible to sleep in a bed (if available) for an additional fee of 40.000 COP.
4 hours by car (4×4 vehicle)
After breakfast in Cabo de la Vela we will head to Punta Gallinas, at Colombia’s north corner. It implies a four-hour travel through the desert where we will pass by the Eolic Farm Jepirachi, Bahía Portete viewpoint, Bahia Honda desert, and finally, we will arrive to one of the most beautiful places in the Guajira region: the astonishing Taroa Dunes, located in the middle of an imposing blue sea with golden sand. There, we will walk through the dunes, filling our bodies with its energy and mysticism; afterwards, we can take a refreshing and purifier bath in the sea. In the end, we will head to Punta Gallinas, where we will visit Bahia Hondita and Punta Aguja. We will spend the afternoon enjoying the sunset in El Faro, Colombia’s and South America’s most northern place.
Lunch and dinner in Punta Gallinas.
– We will be immersed into the Wayyu culture spending the night in rancherias in comfortable hammocks or chinchorros. There is also the option of sleeping on a bed (if available) for an additional cost of $40.000 COP.
7 hours by car in a 4×4 vehicle.
Last day. We will go from the Upper to the Middle Guajira till arriving to Mayapo, where we can enjoy the lonely beaches, and a typical lunch from the Caribbean region. In the afternoon we will return to Riohacha, where our guide/driver will take us to the place of choice.
End of the trip!
We can leave on the date you prefer, prior coordination
+ This trip is suitable for people of any age.
+ All the road trips are in 4x4 vehicles with AC.
+ Accommodation is in rancherías belonging to the Wayuu culture.
+ Normally we will sleep in chinchorros, but you can have a bed for $40.000 COP per person.
- + A small backpack for hiking
- + Cloths suitable for fresh weather that includes a pair of pants and a long sleeve shirt.
- + A thin blanket or sheet
- + A light sweater or jacket
- + Bathing suit
- + Small towel
- + A pair of hiking shoes and a pair of sandal or two pair of shoes.
- + Hat
- + Sun glasses
- + Photographic camera
- + Torch/Flash light
- + Insect repellent
- + Sunscreen
- + Non plastic water bottle (thermo)
- + A small personal hygiene kit and personal medicines.
- + A pair of big plastic bags to protect your cloths from water and to keep your garbage.
- + ID Card
DO NOT LEAVE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT
• AVOID BUYING BOTTLED WATER
• DON’T USE STRAWS IN YOUR BEVERAGE
• USE AS LITTLE PLASTIC BAGS AS POSSIBLE
• USE RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES FOR YOUR FLASHLIGHT
• PUT THE GARBAGE IN THE PROPER PLACE
• SEPARATE THE GARBAGE AND RECYCLE
• DON’T USE SOAP WHEN BATHING IN RIVERS
• DON’T TAKE ANY BIOLOGICAL MATERIAL WITH YOU WHEN YOU LEAVE THE PLACE
$ 899.000 COP
+ Guide during the whole trip.
+ Medical Assistance Insurance.
+ Privet ground transport service to all the places mentioned in the itinerary in a 4×4 vehicle with AC.
+ Accommodation: 2 nights in chinchorro at the ranchería Wayuu. Accommodation in bed may have an extra cost.
+ Meals: from lunch in the first day until lunch in the last day.
+ Permission to access to Los Flamencos Sanctuary.
+ All activities described in the itinerary.
+ Airplane tickets.
+ Alcoholic beverages
+ Expenses not specified in the plan.
Such a beautiful trip! Wonderful beaches and sand dunes.
A diferente landscape from our Colombia.
A beautiful trip through the High Guajira where we could see the desert in all its magnificence, and be able to enjoy the beautiful and lonely beaches.
Thank you SAWA for this trip!
This is another place in Colombia that surprises me. The vast desert, the spectacular beaches, an excellent experience! A trip to never forget!